Admittedly this year, I have probably consumed more media via television shows and movies than in many years if not ever. 2020 brought us A LOT of time at home sheltering in place, stuck at home, and without the ability to go see movies on the big screen. For posterity, here are my top 10 picks from the past year.
- Little Women: Loved this movie so very much. I actually saw it in theaters three times in the month of January. This is the only movie to make my list. Always a fan of Louisa May Alcott. Loved the older version, but Greta Gerwig’s 2019 adaptation has my heart. My girls love the movie as much as I do. They saw it in the theater this year; we’ve rented it a few times and now own our own copy.
- Tiger King: I should be ashamed to admit I watched this show but once my brother prompted me and Ryan to at least give it one episode, it was akin to driving past a traffic accident: we couldn’t look away. If any show really captures the upside down nature of 2020, Tiger King is definitely it. It was at least a welcome distraction from early pandemic times. Special shoutout to the bonus episode where Joel McHale interviewed the entire cast.
- Schitt’s Creek: Probably topping my list for all time favorite for the year would be Schitt’s Creek. The story-telling on this series is just something special. The character development. The way so many phrases and references from the show entered into pop-culture vernacular. The costuming. The personal take-aways for me as someone who is also a “fish out of water” in new territory every time we move was significant. I’ve watched the entire series through twice now. Kellie and I also recorded an entire podcast episode on all of the correlations with military life.
- Derry Girls: This was one of my “for Claire only” early morning shows back during the early pandemic days. Adore the writing and characters on this show. Super pumped to see the Derry Girls make an appearance on the holiday special of GBBO.
- Sweet Magnolia: Thank you Netflix for this show. It was almost syrupy sweet but I loved it. In fact, I watched the first season through before we left Fort Polk and then re-watched it with my mom and the girls during our long summer stay in Chattanooga. I ordered the first book the series is loosely based upon and can’t wait for the second season to release. This show felt like such a perfect, sweet, light reprieve.
- Hamilton: There’s no WAY you can talk about pop culture or media in 2020 and leave Hamilton off the list. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched Hamilton. To say we are obsessed at our house would be an understatement. So incredibly done.
- Virgin River: I think I watched the first episode of Virgin River three times before I finally got into the show. The first two times I was distracted and not really watching. At my sister’s recommendation, I gave it a shot and Mae, Kate, and I are hooked. We are EAGERLY awaiting the newest season.
- Cobra Kai: If 2020 needed a comeback story, Cobra Kai has been it. Ryan and I have loved all of the original Karate Kid movies forever and seeing Johnny’s redemption has been fun to watch. The 1980s throwbacks. The music. Feeling like we have aged right along with the actors has been a delight.
- The Queen’s Gambit: This was a weekend binge for me. I think I started it one of those mornings when I woke up at 4:00 am unable to fall back asleep. I watched this show alone. It was captivating and mesmerizing. Loved the story and the way it was told. Huge props to costuming, makeup, and set design.
- Ted Lasso: Can’t think of a better icon for joy, hope, and leadership than Ted Lasso. Jason Sudeikis absolutely kills this role. It is full of humor and heart. You will fall in love with Ted within the first episode.
Series repeats: The Office, Parks and Rec, New Girl, and Mad Men
New seasons of shows I already watched: The Crown and Great British Baking Show